Tuesday 13 November 2012

Dr. Sketchy's


On the weekend I went to a live drawing session which some people probably have heard of called Dr. Sketchy Anti Art class. I have been wanting to go again for ages, I went to my first one about two years ago and haven't been back since, mostly cause I was too nervous to draw in public. I personally love drinking and drawing at home, its a brilliant way to spend hours and suddenly look up at the clock and realise you have been drawing/painting/getting pissed for 6 hours. But in public that is another thing  entirely! So I worked up the courage to ask my sister and my husband if I should go! Becuase if I told them I was thinking of going I would have much more of a push to go than if I just thought of going! And lo and behold they thought it was a good idea, so I tricked myself into making the plans to go.
Now I would be more than a little bit of a liar if I didn't say that I was thinking of just hanging out in town instead of heading to the Jazz Bar while I was sitting on the bus into town. In the end I made it there and was still particularily awkward for the first hour or so, some of the people who were there were so awesome, and there I was sitting with a wee cup of tea, scibbling out a mess of people.
Not that anyone was making me feel uncomfortable, just my awkward wee self, I decided a wee Crabbies Ginger beer would be nice and to just doodle something for a bit and out popped the pirate head you see below. I found my groove!
Now I definitely want to go back and do some more drawing so hopefully I make it to the next one in December and then the next in February! It was a really really fun way for me to learn to draw differently and more quickly because you really need to get the people down on the paper before the five minutes is up!
 
 
 So its a good thing I have Caryn and Dixon to tell me to do things because without them I wouldn't have had such a wonderful time!

No comments:

Post a Comment