Wednesday 27 February 2013

Ginger

So I have been on a wee kick of wanting to make new things, because always eating the same food its a bit boring and so even if you eat something new and don't like it, at least you aren't having the same old same old over and over again. So I found a new soup recipe online for Curried Carrot and Coconut soup, which sounded really good and all I need to buy extra was the ginger and the coconut milk, which was on offer so it was even cheaper! How brilliant, its like it was meant to be. As it turns out £0.61 worth of ginger, is actually a heck of a lot of ginger! About half a pound to be exact! So what do I do with this new found ginger windfall?
I found out that candying something is actually relatively easy, who would of though! So I made a whole bunch of candied ginger and it is excellent! I am hoping to make cookies with it later this week!
Now if I was a good food blogger I would have a picture of the soup, the process the whole shebang, but I am not very good at this. Perhaps next time with the cookies I will do better! But here is the ginger in all of its candied glory!


So for the candied ginger, there are loads of different recipes for it so the one I followed went a bit like this,
I peeled the ginger, apparently if your use a teaspoon it is way easier to get in all the wee nooks and crannies, unfortunately I didn't find that out til after I peeled all of it. Once peeled I weighed it as most recipes call for a pound of thinly sliced ginger I had about half a pound. so I used two cups of water to boil for 35 minutes. after boiled drain and reserve 1/4 of a cup of the boiled water. Rinse the ginger and add equal amounts of sugar to the ginger and boil in the reserved water until a thick syrup forms, stirring occasionally. Once satisfied with the consistency you can either drain and toss in sugar or pour it into a jar and leave to cool in its syrup. Though if you do drain it, the syrup is lovely for cocktails, pancakes and loads of other things. Its pretty easy.

Now the soup, the soup was lovely so I will be making it again, so fear not I will get around to pictures and sharing cause it is also super easy too!


No comments:

Post a Comment