Monday 2 December 2013

St Andrews Day

I was St Andrews Day on the 30th, the official national day of Scotland and because of that many historic sites throughout Scotland were celebrating with free entrance, which Hayley and I took full advantage of! The Palace of Holyroodhouse was our main destination but we got sidetracked a couple of times, first in the Museum of Edinburgh  which had just been refitted, we probably could have spent a whole lot longer in there but unfortunately we didn't have the schedule for that. We did catch a rather informative wee video outlining Edinburgh's history, which was very good, as well as the plans for the New Town, and bits on how people lived and I especially liked the feature on Greyfriars Bobby.





So we made it to the Palace of Holyroodhouse, where we took as many pictures as were allowed and some that weren't. Hayley was a lot more ballsy with the photos than me. I was glad though that I got the audio tour, I have never gotten one of those before, but I think I definitely will from now on. I would not have known so much more about what we were looking at. It is totally worth it.





So the Palace of Holyroodhouse joins onto Holyrood Abbey and it was spectacular inside and out.












We then stopped at the Kirk of the Canongate because we could see a Churchyard/Graveyard and wondered where the entrance was and it turned out the symbol above the church of the Stag with the crucifix between its antlers was part of many tales of King David and the Stag that we heard loads about in the Palace of Holyrood. 




And to finish off the day we had sushi from Bonsai, Hayley got a brilliant deal from Groupon and the food was amazing!


So it was a brilliant day celebrating Scotland and all it has to offer!
Hopefully you saw the Google Doodle, it was brilliant!



I know I know, I don't write for ages and then bam massive post, but there was so much to see along the way it was incredible, and it turned out to be a beautiful crisp day to be out in. So I hope you enjoyed St Andrews day as much as I did!

No comments:

Post a Comment