Thursday 13 June 2013

The Zoo With The Canadians









So it started out as a rather cold and clammy day in Edinburgh, but it was definitely going to be an excellent Monday. As you can see it was a bit foggy and overcast, but I was meeting, Caryn's boyfriend's family, Lynn, Jesse and Sue. We were getting an early start to go to the zoo! So no matter the weather, it was going to be an excellent day. And it was! We didn't prebook for the pandas, but still ended up getting excellent tickets at a time that totally worked for our timeframe and zoo climbing layout! The new Penguin Rock was awesome, now all the penguins can be together, which is doubly awesome cause that meant a rockhopper (my favorite) was in the Penguin Parade for the first time that I have seen. I do not have photographic evidence of this because he got a bit tired on the way and was brought back by a keeper, but it was still awesome!

The sun bears are one of my favorites, they look like they are wearing too big pajamas, and the pandas were awake this time! So the bears were awesome! The koalas, though technically not bears, were not on display because they are getting a new habitat, I believe because they are getting a girl koala. I was a bit disappointed because I sorta bigged up that they were the only koalas in the UK, but what can you do.


The penguins were nesting the last time I was there, and I don't know if this is the same ones now but they have layed eggs and 15 of them had hatched by that point, so we got to see baby penguins! And they are way cuter than what I think they look like when they are the big grey/brown fluffball in my mind, they look like penguins put through a shrinkray! 


Of all the big cats, Mowgli the Black Jaguar was the most active, that we could see, we just got there when he got up from the back and came strutting down, we got some excellent photos of him. The rest were sleeping, except for the Scottish Wildcat, which kind just looks like a really hard housecat! The tiger was pacing quite high above us so I got fragments of him, perhaps I can piece them together.
We had excellent timing throughout the day as well, when we went through the indoor there was a lady there for the brass rubbings you can do, but she ended up telling us more about the rhinos they have. And how the Zoo works with them until they are 6 years old when they are old enough to meet a lady and settle down, but til that time, they are worked with so that vets can get near them, which is pretty cool. So that means that next year they will probably be heading in separate directions, but possible two new wee ones will replace them. So they can grow up to be responsible Rhinos too.


The otters were out! The were playing and eating and chasing eachother, it was awesome, I always wait and look and try to see them, but never have any luck. But this time I saw them running amok! It was excellent, see what I mean about good timing.


The Pygmy hippos are pretty excellent too, last time I was there, the wee hippo was just a tiny sausage and now she's almost the same size as her mom! Crazyness! This picture is mostly for Caryn.


Now hopefully this video works cause it is awesome, the Sun Bears rock.


I sometimes get a bit anxious about meeting people, especially people who I have never met ever before. So I build it up in my head that it will be really awkward and I won't speak to them. I'll just sit there and point at things of interest but do not explain or anything. Annnnd it usually turns out that it is awesome and I have a great time. So I need to push myself to just do more things because otherwise I wouldn't have met Lynn Sue and Jesse, all of whom were awesome. 

So yes an excellent Monday.



No comments:

Post a Comment